Kinser Family Blog

Welcome to an inside look into the lives of Aaron & Jensine Kinser, as well as their children Isaac, Austin, Cameron, and Annika.

2011/09/24

Isaac on Two Wheels (Classic "Dad Moment")

We hit a great milestone today.  After putting it off all summer, I worked with Isaac today on riding his bicycle without training wheels.  He had gotten so quick on his bike with training wheels, that I figured he would be able to pick it up pretty quick.  I thought it would take more than ten minutes to pick it up.  It may have taken eleven, at most.

First, I gave him a pep talk and got him started.

Next, I held on to the seat, and started jogging while he road rode. (Update: thanks to my cousin Nicole for her "kind" correction.)

Then I let go, and he started riding.  After a few times of me helping him stay balanced, he starts doing really well.  A few short minutes later, he is riding back and forth continually and I run behind him for moral support.  Finally, he rides up a small hill near our house all by himself and back down with  no problems while I sprint to keep up.

After maybe 30 minutes of total riding, he still has a little trouble turning (maybe a 60% success rate) and doesn't really know how to get started, as his seat is a little high (I may have to lower it to help him out).  He really did a great job and was rewarded with a treat.  Way to go Isaac!

What was really cute is that we found Austin pouting in the driveway and said that he was sad because Isaac was better than he is.  So, Austin said he wanted to try riding his bike without training wheels.  He did not do nearly as well as Isaac (being younger and on a smaller bike), but we were really proud that he was willing to try.  And had a few short period in which I could let go.

Obviously, Cameron did not do any bike riding, but he did climb into the trailer and wait for a ride.  Sadly, because of the time, that ride will have to wait until Monday.



5 comments:

LDA said...

Started jogging while he road or RODE?? :)hehe

LDA said...

I couldn't resist...I know how much you hate grammatical errors! :)

Aaron Kinser said...

It's true. I will never complain about someone finding my faults. I really should start typing my stuff in Word first, run a spelling and grammar check and then publish.

jeff and alli said...

Rees is quite jealous of Isaac's bike and impressive skills. I'm impressed with how quickly he picked it up!

Good luck Austen, keep trying!

Sookie said...

oh that's fun! my husband can't wait to teach our oldest how to ride a bike...