I told my wife that I was probably not going to discuss political issues on this blog, but such a statement may have been a bit premature. I can go without discussing politics like an Asian can go without rice.
Speaking of Asians, as North Korea declared its nuclear programs, South Korea declared that it would begin to import US beef again soon. Imports of US beef have gone back and forth over the past several years because of fears of mad cow disease. Protests have erupted across the country because of the announcement.
Now, here is the irony of the whole deal. South Korea has not had a single incident of mad cow disease or any related disease. It is only the fear of mad cow disease that has caused the imports to cease.
Whatever the merits, I was speaking with a South Korean friend of mine about the issue and she was outraged that her president decided to allow US (instead of South Korea) to inspect US beef. I told her that the only reason that this bothers her is because South Koreans are paranoid about mad cow disease. She got more mad and told me that it wasn't paranoia; rather, there is a very grave threat to South Korean health and the president just put our country in danger (of course, I'm paraphrasing). Amusing.
In other news, the Supreme Court just struck down a DC gun ban. Despite my conservatism, I actually hoped that they would take my proposed ruling (in my petition for the journal, we discussed the DC circuit case which was appealed). I have no problem with limits (not necessarily a ban) on handguns, but am opposed to prohibitions on rifles and handguns. Oh well,...
Don't worry, I will make sure to not devote too much of my time to political issues.
No comments:
Post a Comment