So, I would have written during the weekend, but we were staying up at a cabin in the Black Hills and there was no internet. Jensine's family wanted to have a little family reunion (little because it was short and two brothers did not come) so we all spent a few days up in a cabin. It was a lot of fun and kind of refreshing to be disconnected from the internet. Refreshing ... and a little frustrating. One of the best things about the weekend was that Isaac had the chance to play with his two cousins from Denver. One is three (but weighs as much as Isaac) and the other is the same age as Isaac (born 11 days after him). They all had a lot of fun playing together.
Perhaps the saddest part of the whole weekend was when Isaac fell down the stairs. We were staying in the basement of the cabin and there was a wooden flight of stairs going to the main floor. While I was playing with Austin, Isaac decided to try and walk up the stairs with no hands and his arms full of a mere half dozen toys. He made it up about 6-7 steps before tumbling backwards. He banged his head a little bit and got a black eye. Despite that however, he was tough and only wanted to be consoled for a few minutes before wanting down to play with more of his toys. We knew that he would fall at some point, but too bad it had to be on wooden stairs and not carpeted. Luckily he only fell a few steps and that the kid has a rock-hard head.

Black-eyed Isaac giving his cousin Owen a hug!
As for Independence Day, we didn't really do anything too exciting. We went and visited a SD state park and a national park and drove for way too long. By nighttime, we were too tired to stay up for fireworks (as if our children waking up at 5am was too early or something...). Oh well, Isaac and Austin were already in bed.
Pudgy little Austin hanging out with his Grandpa Tibbitts!
Speaking of bed, Isaac slept in the closet for the weekend. We did not have a separate room for him, but if had laid on our floor, he would have woken up when Austin did. So, we put some blankets and pillows on the floor of the walk-in closet and he slept in there with the door closed. Hmmm...back eye, sleeping in closets...man, we sound like abusive parents...
On a completely random note, I realized something grammatical that really bothers me: incorrect use of the plural surname. For example, I am a Kinser. Jensine, Isaac, Austin and I are Kinsers. We are the Kinsers. We are not the "Kinser's." The apostrophe is only used with a family name if it is meant to be possessive. Whenever I see someone use the possessive with a surname (for example, "Love, the Johnson's) I ask myself, "The Johnson's what? The Johnson's pets? The Johnson's neighbors? Who is writing? And who is the Johnson? If anyone reading does this, I'm sorry. Nothing personal. Its the bad grammar I hate, not you. The only time that you would use the apostrophe is if you have an actual possessive situation (i.e. the Kinsers' blog, or blog of the Kinsers). If you sign a letter for your family, send a letter to a family, or are using the plural as the object or subject of a sentence, just pluralize it without an apostrophe. That is the grammar lesson of the day. (I had to correct a mission companion, a roommate, and a friend on this issue, so it drives me a little crazy--short trip, I know).
2 comments:
Thank-you Aaron teacher.
Thank you for my lesson of the day. I will keep it in mind and make sure anything you see is grammatically correct.
Post a Comment