So, Jensine and I have been having our Fridays be Korean food night. (Mainly because my parents go out to dinner and thereby won't be around to complain about the smells emanating from the kitchen.) Tonight we decided to try 비빔밥 (Bibim-bap), a type of rice dish with sautéed vegetables, seasoned with red pepper paste to one's liking. One of the ingredients called for in the recipe that I got was "fernbrake." Not knowing what it was, I decided to ask the guy at the Korean store for 고사리 (go-saw-ree). He gave me a bundle of what looked like dead twigs and said I needed to put them in water. I did not know if he meant to boil them or let them soak. We went with boil. When we were done, we were not sure how to eat them, and ended up throwing the third we used away (being inedible). If anyone (*cough* *Koreans* *cough*) know how to use them, please let us know, because I have more, but have no idea how to prepare them.
Which part are we supposed to eat, anyway?
(As a note, I might add that blogger does not recognize the word fernbrake and wants to replace it with two words. That should be a sign for me. If even the English word is too bizarre for spell-checkers, should I really eat it?)
2 comments:
Um, good luck finding a good use for those things.
a thicket or dense growth of ferns? Sounds delicious to me. Those Koreans will eat anything that grows! Hope you are having fun in CA. You missed out on the snow we have been getting the last few days.
Post a Comment