Kinser Family Blog

Welcome to an inside look into the lives of Aaron & Jensine Kinser, as well as their children Isaac, Austin, Cameron, and Annika.

2009/03/19

Nauvoo/Carthage: Day 2

The second day of our trip, we spend most of the day in Nauvoo. Because of the kids, we didn't go in the temple, but we did briefly see most of the sites in the area. First, we stopped by the Joseph Smith Jr. Visitor's center. I didn't realize it at the time, but it is run by the RLDS Church (or Community of Christ). We watched a little video and it was interesting to see things from a little of their perspective. It was nice that they were respectful to the LDS Church and very informative on the history of Nauvoo.
Jensine coming out of the Joseph Smith Jr. Visitor's Center.

Next, we walked around the historic Nauvoo area and looked at the Mansion House and other important sites. It was a lot of fun, but we did not spend too much time. One house that my wife and I found interesting was that Johann Kaufmann. We have no idea who he was, but he had German on his house which was fun. Jensine took German in high school and I am studying German now, so we had fun trying to read and understand what was written on his house.
For those who can't read German, it says, "This house is mine, and not mine. So it is for whoever comes here. I was here as was anyone who is reading this."

For lunch we went back to the Nauvoo Inn across from the temple. It was so nice to sit in the 78 degree weather and eat lunch on the porch.
Isaac and Austin were fascinated by the sun-stone replica on the porch where we ate.

Then, as the boys were ready for naps, we drove to Carthage to see the jail. Jensine had been there before, so she volunteered to stay in the car while the boys both took naps. I had never been there, so I went in and took the little tour. It was interesting to see the jail and learn about its history.

I would have been in the picture of the jail, but there was nobody there to take it in my stead.

At night, we went back to the hotel, got some pizza for dinner, and watched a movie as the boys fell asleep. It was a very relaxing way to spend the evening.

3 comments:

Theresa said...

All these posts are making me want to go back and see it all again. :)

I think it's funny that that guy basically tagged his own house,.. like a gang signs,.. only he meant it to be welcoming instead of territorial,...and well he must be the kind of captain obvious too,.. I wonder if he ever stopped to think how obvious it was that if you were reading his words you were standing there too,.. why bother? hahahaha,...

Theresa said...

i should really proof read these comments. that should say gang sign,.. not plural. and king of captain obvious,.. not kind of captain obvious.

Natalie said...

Sounds like so much fun...maybe one day we'll get back there! :)