Kinser Family Blog

Welcome to an inside look into the lives of Aaron & Jensine Kinser, as well as their children Isaac, Austin, Cameron, and Annika.

2009/09/13

Potty Training

And so it begins... I had a conversation with my mother-in-law about her experiences potty training and combining that with some other conversations I'd had with friends I finally felt really movtivated to start. Isaac apparently was also ready because when I showed him the cool Lightening McQueen underwear he would get to wear he was THRILLED.

The first day went very well. He went pee a number of times, some of the time I didn't even know he needed to go he would just go into the bathroom and do it all by himself. (Come out without anything on, but extremely proud of himself.) We're actually just having him wear underwear without anything else so he can feel himself get wet and want to do something about it. Some times that seems more effective than others. He actually will stop himself when he thinks about it, and finish in the potty. So with all of this, I know he's actually ready--we're just waiting for things to click in place. Like caring about his underwear being wet sometimes...

A few rules have already been instigated however. One is that he can no longer go by himself in the bathroom. Originally I thought, hey this is pretty great. Then, when he realized all the fun options a bathroom had it became less exciting. Lets just say that in one scenario a lot of stuff got wet in the sink, including his underwear. Yuck. I don't get the coolness of bathrooms--but I also am thankfully not two years old.

The other rule right now is pull-ups for outings. We went to the donut store and we thought it would be a quick trip so we thought we'd see how he would do. Not a good idea. I wasn't with him, he went with Aaron, but apparently he was pretty freaked out--and instead of going pee on the potty, he went pee in his pants as soon as he got off the potty. So yes, that's a milestone we're saving for another time.

I have to say though that I'm just thankful it's going anywhere at all. I didn't think he, and to be perfectly honest me as well, were ever going to get started. But we are, so hooray! Wish us all an extra dose of patience, because that is definitely a needed virtue right now. :)

Lightening Mcqueen underwear, how cool is that?!
So excited and proud of himself--especially when he feels like doing it.

4 comments:

jeff and alli said...

That is awesome. I will keep in mind cool underwear when we get into the mode. :)

jeff and alli said...

p.s. potty training instead of 'potty learning' huh? ;)

Natalie said...

Well...good luck to you guys! We are doing the same thing in our house right now, too! (Although, this is about our 4th attempt! I think she's finally ready this time!)

Jessica said...

good job getting started and good luck! We are potting training too, well riley is doing it herself mostly but i'm not to the point where i am thinking about taking off her diaper unless it's to put a new one on :) she goes on in the potty but not always! Have you heard of those "cherrios" you can buy at babies r us, they put a few in the toilet and he can pee on them to dissolve them...might help him not to pee everywhere else :)